Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Best Place to Buy a Fan

    Summer is here and it's a hot one. The most important item in a southern home is the air conditioning unit. Around here in Memphis, air conditioning units break often and fans are used in their place. So where should you go to buy a new fan to help keep you cool this summer? The answer is Walmart. Or you could just pay an over priced fee at your local hardware store for a fan you don't like.
    Fans are used for different reasons in different areas. The main purpose of a fan is to cool things down by blowing air around. As fan technology has improved so has our understanding of air movement. Fans don't just blow air anymore, unless you want a fan that does just that. What do you want your fan to do? Simply push air in your face? Move the air around? Create ripples throughout the air moving around? Do you want the fan on your desk? Do you want it in the corner of your room? These questions will help you decide what type of fan you want.
    The question of what fan is suited best for you can only be answered by you. The classic twenty inch box fan is a powerful choice for air movement but it is very limited in the area it covers. An elevated oscillating fan would have a wider area it could cover with air movement but that's all it will be is just movement. A desk fan may be suited for you as long as you don't keep paperwork on your desk. The standing tower fans provide a more comfortable breeze like feel due to the angles of the separate vents on the fan. This is the preferred choice for modern households because it will do more for your cooling comfort than to just push air at you. You also have the option to purchase multiple blade oscillating fans which will enhance the breeze like feel of the air.
    If those choices aren't good enough for you then you need to take the next step up and purchase a portable air conditioner or window unit. Look for a later article on how to purchase those and feel confident about it working all summer.
    So where will you get the best deal on your future fan? Maybe you are like me and had your air conditioning break at a most unfortunate time and need a fan as soon as possible. Save the time it takes driving around and just go to Walmart. Unless you are fine overpaying for a fan, in which case go anywhere and buy anything. 
    Fans are a seasonal item but that doesn't mean you don't have your options. I recently went to multiple stores and was seriously disappointed in selection before I just went to Walmart and left satisfied with a new fan. Where is the first place you think to go for a home appliance? Lowe's or Home Depot. I was furious with the home improvement super failure Lowe's when they had exactly five different fans to chose from, all of which were overpriced. I was not as mad with Home Depot because I had just left Lowe's and it really couldn't get any worse than their selection. I stopped at Walgreen's for a drink and looked around there for fans. Surprisingly they had more fans than Lowe's and at better prices. If they were a little lower than I would have bought one. I went to my local Walmart where it seems I get everything and found a whole aisle of fans at amazing prices.
    Walmart shocked me being the best place I had visited for fans. Especially since I just left two home improvement stores empty handed. True the more impressive fans were higher priced but I had options here. You name the price and Walmart had a fan. Whether you wanted to spend 5,10,15,20,50, or 60 dollars, they had a fan for you. I ended up spending sixty dollars on a nice tower fan with a remote. I am happy I had multiple options to chose from and ended up finding the right fan for me. The fan is just temporary until my air conditioner is repaired but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't have options. This day and age you should not settle for anything other than what you want.
    Save yourself the time in looking for a fan and take my advice. The best place to go is Walmart. The worst place to go is Lowe's. Or you could just shop online, but when you need the fan immediately online shopping just doesn't seem to cut it no matter how good the deal is.

No comments:

Post a Comment